Skip to main content

Sweet!

Audi promises electric car within 10 years

Audi is joining other German automakers in the effort to eliminate exhaust emissions, promising to bring an electric model to market in the next 10 years.

Rupert Stadler, Audi's chairman and chief executive, said in an interview with German weekly Welt am Sonntag published Sunday that he expects battery technology to dominate in the coming five to 10 years.

"By then we will offer cars without exhaust emissions," Reuters quoted Stadler as saying. "Electric cars offer great opportunities, which we have already seized on."

Reducing vehicle emissions is a chief concern for automakers in Germany. BMW recently showed off a hydrogen-powered 7-series sedan at the 2008 SAE World Congress in Detroit that actually emits less carbon monoxide than are found in the air around it.

At last year's Frankfurt auto show, Mercedes showed off a number of diesel-electric hybrid concept cars that are scheduled for production in 2010 as well as its Diesotto engine, which uses turbo charging, direct injection, and diesel-like compression to maximize power and fuel economy.

Luxury German automakers are likely to be among the hardest hit by new European Commission legislation for stricter emissions and fuel efficiency standards, and consequently have been making efforts to find more efficient versions of their performance-focused lineups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Race Categories:

(From the newest member of the PureJenius.net staff (who, by the way, is paid >well So I've been perusing the MCF board tonight and I still can't believe how many guys are whining about the races and race categories that promoters choose for races. I'm pretty good at whining too, so here goes: I'm a 35+ Cat 3 woman who will show up for the St. Cloud Crit and have to toe the line with Cat 1/2 guys - I don't give a shit that they're 50+, their license still says Cat 1 or 2 (and 3/4/5) and they race like Cat 1/2s. What's that you say, it's a ROY race, so we'll be scored separately? Okay cool, then I'll completely overlook the fact that the race will blow apart on about lap 1.5 and I'll spend the remainder of the race with 3 or 4 other women if I'm lucky or I'll assume the time trial position and ride around in circles by myself. Should be fun. Oh, I should shut my trap because if I think the 50+ guys are too fast and furious, I s...

What were you doing at 5:48 am?

Yo! Doig! Over here! "Well, you see, Rena, I don't go around giving myself nicknames, its just that people see me and call me Mr. Cool." "Rochester will have a high of 76, but with that warm, humid air comes the chance of some thunderstorms. There might be some hail so be sure to bring in your tulips if you can. I know I will." Yo! Doig! We're not done yet!
HEY! Blog people. Here's an update... All I gotta say is 2004 ain't gonna hold a candle to 2007. It has started bitches. think it hasn't? I also want to point out, those of you "cyclocross is my life" guys, you were talking to a made guy. Why would you ask him to leave HIS team to be a faceless bottle carrier on another team? Now go read a blog about someone's puppy.