Skip to main content

Race Categories:

(From the newest member of the PureJenius.net staff (who, by the way, is paid >well< into the 2 figures))

So I've been perusing the MCF board tonight and I still can't believe how many guys are whining about the races and race categories that promoters choose for races. I'm pretty good at whining too, so here goes: I'm a 35+ Cat 3 woman who will show up for the St. Cloud Crit and have to toe the line with Cat 1/2 guys - I don't give a shit that they're 50+, their license still says Cat 1 or 2 (and 3/4/5) and they race like Cat 1/2s. What's that you say, it's a ROY race, so we'll be scored separately? Okay cool, then I'll completely overlook the fact that the race will blow apart on about lap 1.5 and I'll spend the remainder of the race with 3 or 4 other women if I'm lucky or I'll assume the time trial position and ride around in circles by myself. Should be fun. Oh, I should shut my trap because if I think the 50+ guys are too fast and furious, I should just race with the Master's 35+ 3/4's because those guys get their own race? Okay, I didn't want to race with my teammates anyway, so I'll do that race instead - those guys will probably be tired anyway, because some of them can do 4 different races that day. Plus, they have kids and jobs, so they don't get to train much. I only have a job, and no kids to tire me out, so I should be able to hang with them.

Then, to follow-up with what is sure to be a brilliant performance in St. Cloud, I will fill my car with $4/gallon gas, blow off my family and friends for the tenth year in a row, and head to Northfield for the July 4th holiday so that I can spend $25 to race for 35 minutes in the Women's Open race. Yep, that's right...5 minutes longer than the Juniors 15+ race and 10 minutes shorter than the Master's 30+ 4/5's.

I know, I know, I should be happy that promoters are putting on races, and that they're having separate Women's Cat 4 races (especially since I've been preaching about MWCMR for 3 years now)...so don't get me wrong, I am happy that these races exist. In fact, St. Cloud and Northfield are two of my favorites and I'll be there racing both of them. And I've promoted races, so I don't want anyone bitching to me about how if I don't like it I should promote my own race. Been there, done that, I understand there's only so much time in one day, and I understand that certain ages/categories of racers bring in more money, and blah, blah, blah. My point is this - all these guys whining about wanting a race specifically aimed at their age/category combo have very little to whine about. So to all those guys whining, I say try showing up to a local race with breasts and a Cat 3 license and then tell me what you have to bitch about as a 37-yr old Cat 3 guy who works full time.

Oh, and here's a little brain teaser - there are 8 races at St. Cloud and 9 races at Northfield. I have an idea - let's pretend that everyone would be happy just racing their category, and I'll even still suggest grouping the Cat 1/2/3 women and Cat 1/2 men so that people aren't whining about those races being too small - here's what the schedule could look like - 7 total races:

Juniors
Women 4
Women 1/2/3
Men 5
Men 4
Men 3
Men 1/2

And as an added bonus, each of the races could be just a little bit longer, oh, the insanity! Man, I must be off my 35+ rocker to suggest something so crazy!! Must be the estrogen, or maybe the lack of sleep from my 50+ hr work week getting to me. Yeah, that's right Mr. 37+ guy, I said it - you only get to do one race, and you have to race with guys who have approximately your same level of fitness and you may just have to race a little longer than you're used to. And then when you turn 38 or the big 4-0 and/or you have another kid, and you can't train as much, might I suggest a downgrade? Gasp!! Did she just suggest I downgrade! Oh no she didn't!! Bitch doesn't know what she's talking about or who she's talking to. Doesn't she know how good I was back in the day?

Come on people, thank the promoters, thank the officials, thank your friends and family for letting you blow them off to train and race, and if you still want something to whine about, come see me and we'll eat some cheese and compare notes.

Comments

Dan Cleary said…
Definitely my new favorite blog.
SickBoy said…
Spot on. Bravo
OTR said…
Well said Strats.

If you give people several options (Masters, etc)they'll gravitate to the one that appeals to them most.

If you reduce the number of fields, people will find the one that's right for them and that might mean that they're over or under categorized.
T3 said…
So to all those guys whining, I say try showing up to a local race with breasts and a Cat 3 license

i think there are a few cat 3 men out there with moobs (man boobs).

nice post.
Anonymous said…
amen
Homme said…
I could not agree more with this post. In fact, I recommended something very similar in a post a year and a half ago.

I think road cycling should do away with age categories. They do not represent a collective skill/experience level and often yield boring, predictable races, or small fields. The experience/skill category system serves the riders better.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:3ui8XQAKowwJ:www.nickelnuts.com/2007/01/31/uscf-my-way/+nickelnuts+%22USCF%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us
GoBigGreen said…
Wow, you read my mind. Or was it that i was just wishing the Bonk Blog was back up and running:)
Ps moobs and... cankles, too.
Strats said…
I know the suggestion to race using straight-up categories isn't a new concept. I remember when Homme posted about it, and others have as well. Yet these guys on the MCF board and at the MCF meetings still whine about how their "racing goals" are different as master's. Yeah, well my race goals are different than the 50+ guys too. And their first race goal at St. Cloud will be to drop my ass as quickly as possible so a Cat 3 woman isn't in their way (and I don't blame them). BTW, if a promoter wants to give me a separate "Women's 35+ Cat 3 Working Women's" race, damn straight I'll sign up for it. If a promoter offers it, by all means, do the damn race. But don't whine about how your racing goals are different because you're a master and don't want to take as many chances. And hey, get this - at the track, ALL categories of women race together. Yep, newbie sketchy chick shows up, she's right in there with the rest of us. I can just imagine what would happen if the Cat 5 men on the track were allowed to race with the 1/2's. Pure Jenius himself was recently whining about the sketchy Cat 3's in a crit...I felt really sorry for him.
Pete said…
"Pure Jenius himself was recently whining about the sketchy Cat 3's in a crit...I felt really sorry for him."

Hey now...leave me out of this.

If a male cyclist achieves the performance standard of any category, that person, regardless of age, should be racing in that category. A 42-year-old cat 3 should not have any trouble racing with a 23-year-old cat 3. Age makes no difference when categorized by ability.

It's the women who get fucked over nearly every single race. Putting a cat 3 woman in with 50+ cat 1/2 is nothing more than an insult to women's cycling. Bravo!
Strats said…
I don't think anyone was trying to insult women's cycling - certainly not the promoter of the St. Cloud crit whom I respect very much. In fact, they're probably giving us too much credit assuming we can keep up with the 50+ men (and some of the women can!). It seems like promoters have been more than willing to add a separate Women's Cat 4 race, which is great, but it's starting to feel like it's at the expense of the Women's 1/2/3 race.
Anonymous said…
Woooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooo!
Jason said…
holy shit! amazing! I can do nothing but agree with that.xb
Painman said…
new record for pure jenius posts?

Ckicks rule and deserve equal fields.

There are to many masters fields. but if you have none the fields would be crazy big.

I'm close to needing a manzeer, so it won't be long and I'll line up as a 3 in a womens filed.
Lunatic Biker said…
Pete:

Too much to read on an empty stomach. I'll get an Asian (how's that for pc) buffet in me and come back. Of course after an Asian buffet you need to keep a garden hose handy for the effects of the MSG.
Skibby said…
how come when I say the same things you just said, painman disagrees with me? hmmmmmm.....

great post!
Gilby said…
"the fields would be crazy big"

You say that like it's a bad thing. I would love to have a crazy big field of cat 3 women!
SickBoy said…
ya know.... if 110 cat 4's show up to a race, why is it assumed that the next logical progression is for one of those categories to be a 'master's' field? You just go down the start list and do the old "number off one two one two" thing and BAM, you've instantly got two equally sized fields. That takes care of the field size issue without introducing 'master's' into the equation. Other areas of the country do this all the time.

and are there any numbered categories where field size limits are a potential problem other than 4's and 5's? I don't think there would be....
Strats said…
There are to many masters fields. but if you have none the fields would be crazy big.

Is that really true? When there are Cat 4/5 races, it's true that the field size is large, but if you gave each of those categories their own race would they still really be that big? I can't imagine they'd even come close to reaching the max limit of riders.
Peter Anderson said…
i've found, from my limited promoting experience, that numbers are always hard to predict... I've also found, from my limited racing experience, that racing with 35+ is safer. We've got families, work, etc... no one's trying to stick a wheel where it dont belong for the sake of some great move....

anyways, heres my question: if women want a "better" race experience (or whatever word fits in between those quotes), why dont they race in a "men's" catagory?

Does there need to be a distinction?

fpa
Strats said…
if women want a "better" race experience (or whatever word fits in between those quotes), why don't they race in a "men's" category? Does there need to be a distinction?

Three things: (1) if we did that, I think we'd have to recategorize (i.e. a Cat 3 woman is not the same as a Cat 3 man...and a Cat 3 woman would not want to do a men's 1/2/3 race...I have no desire to race against Pete); (2) presumably most men want to race against other men, and most women want to race against other women, so why mix the two?; and (3) that's kind of like saying that the solution to women's racing is to not have women's races.

You better watch your back FPA because I'll be doing some races with you yet this year in that Master's 3/4 field!
Gilby said…
anyways, heres my question: if women want a "better" race experience (or whatever word fits in between those quotes), why dont they race in a "men's" catagory?

A few of us women have done this, and frankly, we get a lot of flak for doing so: e.g. we're "elitist" for not racing with the women's field, or "maybe we should just eliminate the women's field(s) altogether if you're not going to race it", etc. As Strats touched on, cat 3 men are faster (on average) than cat 3 women...and while women are allowed to race down a category in men's races, would you voluntarily race a 4/5 men's race once you'd upgraded out of that foolishness?
Peter Anderson said…
strats, you race in my cat and I'll lead you out....

Popular posts from this blog

Rough Stretch

 The past week or so has not been a good one for me. I have not been able to sleep which seemingly has fueled my ADHD which keeps me up at night, and I'm tired fueling ADHD, and I don't sleep. On and on and on.... ADHD combined with depression and anxiety makes for a cocktail of a mess. Depression and anxiety aside, ADHD for me has always been disruptive. Depression and anxiety at least have a function and/or purpose, for me these are protectors from vulnerability. But ADHD is just how things operate, it's nature and not nurture.  I struggle with staying on tasks through to completion, even ones that I get hyper focused on. On any given day when I'm doing a chore around the house, laundry, dishes, vacuuming....I usually get to the 70% completion point, if that sometimes, and call it good. There will be three dishes in the sink vs ten. Most of my laundry will be completed, but a good chunk will remain in the basket and probably get washed a second time as I start putting

Back Again

 Running up hill on sand is tough, a lot of effort with little gains. That is what this past year has felt like. While I feel I have my ADHD somewhat under control, I still struggle with depression, impulsiveness, and emotional fluctuations.  I also stopped therapy. I thought for a while that I was okay and could handle life but only to find that I still need help. I’ll be meeting with a new therapist later this week and am hopeful for a fresh perspective and is someone who will hold me accountable. I feel like my last therapist was the start I needed. I was lost in how and where and what to work on. I feel I was able to get things in motion and found some direction. I confused those first few steps with being well on my way to recovery.  I’m bummed that it took me a year to gain that perspective because if I stuck with it I would actually further along in my recovery. I don’t resent or feel guilt for falling back into old routines. I would only feel guilty if I didn’t try and work on

Spiraling

 I often get caught in an emotional downward spiral and can't stop it. It happens quite often and is most disruptive at night. I can't sleep and can't calm myself. My anxiety really kicks into high gear and I catastrophize everything in my world.  I'm not good enough. I'm not smart enough. Everyone else has a better existence than me. Everyone else has a better relationship with their spouse. The list goes on, and on, and on, and on.  I don't know how this starts with me nor do I know how to bring myself out of it. I have talked to my therapist about it and we are working on it, but it really hangs over me. It's tiresome.  I like to think that someday I'll be better equipped to recognize what is happening to me in these moments. I have a lifetime of this in me and takes work, a lot of work, to resolve what's going on. I don't feel like I am always doing the work required. I give in to easy to the decades of inaction and give up and just move on w